I've been meaning to write this post for quite some time and when I got a comment from one of my oldest and dearest friends, Tiffany (HI Tiffany!) asking about it, I knew it was time to post about CrossFit. (Added in are misc pics of fierce woman doing fierce CrossFit work-outs..for your enjoyment and motiavation)
So, What is CrossFit?
CrossFit describes its strength and conditioning program as "constantly varied, high intensity, functional movements". They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, climbing rope, weightlifting, and carrying objects; they use barbells, gymnastics rings, pull-up bars, kettlebells, medicine balls and many body weight exercises. These elements are mixed in numerous combinations to form the work-outs of the day (aka- WOD). Work-outs are intense, demanding all-out physical exertion.
In other words.. CrossFit is Awesome. Seriously. It is.
What I love most about the CrossFit program is that it takes the focus off weight and puts it on strength, conditioning and overall fitness. Don't get me wrong, if you want to lose weight you absolutely will but, it won't be the focus. You may recall me talking a lot about the bootcamp class I used to go to. I won't say a bad thing about it because I got great results but what I will say is this; I dreaded going. It was not fun. I knew I'd get the results I wanted (ie. lose weight, thin out) so I kept going. But I really didn't like it. With CrossFit I seriously cannot wait to do the WOD. Honestly. The BOX I am a member at posts the WODS online each day so I can sneak a peak at what hard work I'm in for. There have been several days that I've planned on not going to CrossFit for one reason or another but when I saw the WOD it looked so fun I just had to go! Think: Flipping Massive Tires Over, Box Jumps or Rope Climbs Etc.
The Wods have so many different fitness dynamics you never, ever get bored. It's addicting.. in a really good way.
Do you remember playing sports as a kid? The feeling of no limits? I call CrossFit the adult sport that everyone can do. You don't have to already be strong. You don't have to be an athlete. You don't have to be 'in shape' before starting. CrossFit will get you there. It is scalable for every single person. Don't believe me? My Mom and Dad are 61 and CrossFit. I CrossFit along side a guy who can deadlift over 400lbs. Trust me, it is scalable. You will get results!
Like any fitness program, there are a lot of negative critics talking bad about the program. Take it all with a grain of salt. (Just like this post!) Just know your limits. Work up to heavy lifting. And don't let any negative talk shy you away from trying CrossFit!
For me, CrossFit is a program that is not only giving me the weight goals I want, the strenght I desire, but it is new and FUN every single time... And it's something I can do with my hubs which is an extra bonus. I mean, who doesn't like getting sweaty with their hubs?!?
So here's my suggestion if you are a tad curious about the CrossFit Rave...
1. Go for it!
2. Let me know what you think!
I've got loads to share on CrossFit and my 'diet' plan in the upcoming months so stay tuned!





Thanks for the post! I'm seriously considering. Just one thing, what am I going to do with those kids?!? Oh well, I'll figure it out :)
ReplyDeleteTiffany, I think a lot of the CrossFit Boxes (gyms) offer childcare!
ReplyDeleteI really want to try this! Sounds like soccer workouts/preseason in college.
Deletehttp://domesticatedworkingwoman.blogspot.com
Lins! It is a great work-out! I read your blog and you are training for another half marathon?! Love it! I really want to do one this Sept.. but we'll see :)
ReplyDelete