Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blog On.








It's no secret. I love to blog. But blogging can sometimes be like having your best looking friend by your side 24/7. You can't help but compare yourself, right?  Last weekend I stumbled across a new to me blog and as I was reading a particular post found myself both laughing and crying. This lovely lady had managed to evoke such emotion in me.  I identified with every single bit of what she was writing about and I loved it. I knew I wanted to follow this lovely mama so I quickly scrolled down to hit the 'follow' button but, stopped. Hesitated. What if she realized she had a new follower and decided to check out my blog- what would she think? Would she think I was superficial? Would she think my pictures were amateur? Would she think my blog, ahh.. life was boring? Why did I care?  All these questions engulfed my mind as I sat, starring at the screen. Finally, I just shook my head and closed the laptop. For days I couldn't figure out why I cared so much about what someone else (someone I didn't even know) might think of my blog. And it bugged me. It bugged me alot.  It bugged me that I cared so much and it really bugged me that I didn't hit the follow button. Instead of hashing out all these questions for the next.. decade,  I decided to tackle the one lingering question they all boiled down to- Why do I blog?





I had lunch with a friend last week and the topic of my blog came up and my entire face lite up. I got SO excited talking about blogging. I mean, in the most nerdy way possible too. I'm half embarrassed by how excited I got. It wasn't that I got excited about just my blog. (Trust me, I don't think my blog is that awesome) I just got excited about blogging in general-The blogs I've found, ladies I've met and inspiration I've gotten. While blabbering on and on about blogging it dawned on me why I love it so much. It isn't because blogging is my favorite hobby, or because I get comments (although, I do love comments, so keep 'em coming) or because I'm trying to brag about my life.  It's because this blog is the one place that has kept up with my life. I have a dozen and one half written-in journals and twice as many unfinished scrapbooks, but this blog is all the little bits and pieces of the last several years rolled into one.  I love that I come here to reminisce and I love that others can do the same.



There are a handful of go-to blogs I turn to when I need support on mommyhood, ideas on a tasty meal, a good hardy laugh or when I just want to take a minute from my life.  Some are those of my dearest friends, some are specific to a topic and some are personal blogs from ladies I've never met but honestly, every single one inspires me in different ways.  What I love most about each one is that every post from these blogs are meaningful to the person writing them. Every post is something they want to remember and capture.   In the same way I want to do with my posts.  I don't pretend to be someone I'm not on this blog. I'm the first to admit my photos are not edited well, my contend isn't always deep or meaningful and I'm clearly not the funnest person out there and while I always hope my readers get something out of my posts more than that I hope to always capture me in every one. 


So, while I imagine I will always struggle with blog comparing I can rest soundly tonight knowing that this blog is a direct reflection of who I am.  And being me is never something to question. 





So, what about you, why do you blog? Until next time... blog on.

2 comments:

  1. love it!
    p.s. Saw you on She Breaths Deeply... So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your blog, Laura!! You inspire me to write more to document those trivial little moments that occur in everyday life...those that would probably be forgotten if the time weren't taken to jot out a few notes about them. Blog on :)

    ReplyDelete

Sedona Hiking

A couple of weeks ago we took a mini day trip to Sedona to hike Devil's Bridge. A natural bridge formed from the red rocks- these pictu...