Today was my last day with Mason at work. Sob. The time went by so fast. It was absolutely awesome having him with me every single day. I didn't have to worry about his schedule or what I was missing, or if he ate or slept or pooped... I could just be with him and kiss him and know how he was all the time. It was the best. Such a blessing!! Now Kevin is home and he and Mason will spend the Summer together. The thought of my two guys hanging out all day literally makes my heart skip a beat.
Anyways, since I knew my time at work with Mason was dwlinding down I decided to start weaning him from breast milk to formula about a month ago. Kevin and I chose to make our own formula using the Adele Davis Recipe. My dear dear friend used it with her twins and actually, I use to make it for them after school my senior year of high school. Since I was already familiar with the formula and knew first hand the benefits, it made our decision to use it for Mason very easy. While my Mom was here she gathered all the ingredients and we began the process. Mason loves his food so he didn't mind the bottle or the switch to formula at all- it was bittersweet for me (a topic for another time). A couple different ladies both here and in other areas have asked for the recipe so I thought it was about time to post it for all you mama's that might be interested. By the way: I use bottle water, I don't actually boil the water ;)
Adele Davis Formula:
Ingredients: |
1 Qt Goat milk or Whole milk – (3 months switch to whole milk) |
3 Tbsp Lactose (milk sugar) or 1 Tbsp corn syrup |
2/3 c. boiled water, cooled |
1 Tbsp calcium lactate (break open 3 capsules and put in milk (300 mg)) – order on line at www.vitapal.com |
1/16 tsp magnesium oxide (break open a capsule, use only half |
¼ tsp brewers yeast plus (1/8 tsp first, then increase very gradually!!!!) |
¼ tsp lecithin powder |
Pinch kelp granular (take out one capsule and crush only a small piece and then pinch) |
¼ tsp liquid vitamin C solution |
½ tsp Hains safflower oil |
¼ tsp acidosophilis (1 tbsp unflavored (plain) yogurt or ¼ tsp Babydophalus |
When babies are 2 months old, give A and D drops and E after breakfast. |
When they are 4 months old, decrease lactose to 2 tbsp, then 1 tbsp, then omit they are five months old. |
Yield: 6 - 8 oz. bottles |
Things to keep in mind:
Goats Milk is much easier to digest than whole milk. Although Mason was right at the 3 month mark we chose to start him on goats milk. A few weeks later we switched to whole milk and he became painfully constipated. It was horrible. We quickly switched back to goats milk!
The cost of some of these items can be costly. I've found several of them online for good prices.

No comments:
Post a Comment