Thursday, July 14, 2011

Change and Cherish

Just the other night while lounging on the couch I looked over at my hubby and with tears filling my eyes thought to myself "It will never be just me and him again". Before you have a chance to stop and dissect that phrase let me remind you that I am head over heels, beyond ecstatic, totally in love with my sweet baby on the way. But that night I realized something. Something very simple yet very true. Life is changing.




Yes. It's changing in the most amazing, incredible way but IT IS C H A N G I N G.



I've been dreaming of becoming a mother for quite some time. I've read and talked with tons of mommas about the 'ins and outs' of being a mother and trust me I have absolutely NO pre conceived ideas on what it will really be like post birth. I am not naive to the idea that I may go days without showering, the laundry may take weeks to put away, the dishes may not get done etc etc etc.. In all honesty- I fully expect these ideas to turn into my reality. And that's ok, because when you have a precious baby the laundry really can wait, right?



Since the eve of my sobfest I've made a point to note the little things in my day to day life. The little things that will inevitably change in just a few short months.



Last Sunday morning I fixed Kev and I breakfast in bed and we spent all morning watching tv and drifting in and out of sleep until well past 11am. We savoured every moment of it.



When the clock only reads 9pm and I'm utterly exhausted I just head upstairs, snuggle in and go to sleep. I know, come December sleep will become nearly obsolete- like for the next 18 years obsolete. And actually even after that. I told Kevin last night.. "after the 18ish years are over and the kids are grown and gone we'll be up all night praying for them so we'll still not be getting any sleep. So, let's sleep now." We laughed about it, then hit the pillow. It was 9:50pm.



There are a dozen other little things I'm cherishing each day that before I never gave a second thought too. Extra minutes in the shower. Going out to dinner whenever. QUIET. The list goes on.. but during my sobfest and in the weeks since, the one thing I can't help but smile about is knowing that all these little things will never compare to holding my sweet baby. These little things will turn into cherishing the sweet smell of my babies skin, the sound of giggles, the sleepless nights comforting my baby and in a few short months these too will change.



My life is changing. In the most amazing, incredible way and I simply can not wait.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, here come the tears! It is all so true, the best part of it all is that with all the "sacrifices" (if you want to call them that) you make having a child, most experiences only get better. You have one more person to share all of those special moments with. Watching your baby grow and learn is one of the most incredible things in life. You will love it and I can't wait to hear all about your adventures!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Sedona Hiking

A couple of weeks ago we took a mini day trip to Sedona to hike Devil's Bridge. A natural bridge formed from the red rocks- these pictu...