Thursday, January 24, 2013

Mason's Meatballs.


Ok, so the technical term for these bad boys is actually Garden Meatballs.. but I'm quite certain Mason would eat meatballs breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him- hence the name change.

So,  Mason loves meat. Ever since we began feeding him solids it was like he was saying "give me meat. give me meat. give me meat" and meat we gave him! He is a one year old with the appetite of a 16 year old boy- I swear. Ha. But he's growing and when he's done eating he throws his fork on the floor so I'm not into 'portion control' or anything weird like it. He eats when he's hungry and he does not eat when he's full. plain and simple.

Anyways. I have tried my best to feed Mason healthy foods and typically he just eats what we are eating.. and I'll admit it, I was overly impressed with myself when Mason always ate his veggies. He didn't care if it was broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, cucumber, tomato- he ate it... and loved it. (insert another "impressed with myself" smile here). I thought I'd never be one of those moms who said "I will never______" but as Mason kept eating his veggies I found myself thinking- I will never have to hide veggies so he eats them. He likes veggies!

oh how wrong I was.

Mason, not only learned that everything in the world is better than vegetables he also manages to eat the good stuff and spit out only the veggies.

oh shoot.

BUT, I'll be honest, I've never really felt all that concerned because.... I have these meatballs! They are loaded with veggies and since he eats them just about every day, I know he's getting an adequate amount of veggies.

I highly recommend these if you are trying to hide veggies in your child's food or if you just want a scrumptious meatball to try. I have a super yummy meal I'll be sharing next week too.

Here's the recipe:
2 zucchinis, grated
1 yam, grated
4 cups fresh whole-leaf spinach
12 oz. jar roasted red peppers
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2lb turkey
1 lb ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 cup almond meal
sea salt & pepper to taste

*note: I always forget the spinach and add carrots in mine. You really can add whatever veggies and seasoning you'd like.

Steps for Mason's Meatballs:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Grate zucchini and yam- place into large mixing bowl

3. In a food processor finely mince spinach, roasted red peppers and garlic. Then add into the zucchini and yam mixture.
4. Add the meat and remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix.


5. Form into meatballs and place on a baking dish

6. Bake covered for 45 minutes

**note: the meatballs will lose juices while in the oven so don't be alarmed when you see them kind of 'run out'.. they're supposed to do that..

Enjoy!! and if you do try these, let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. These look soooo yummy! Do you think they would work with X-lean gr. beef? I will be making these!! Thanks Laura...oh, and I think Mason and Kailee would get along great...she is an eating machine...it's so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! yes, x-lean gr. beef should work great! I hope you enjoy these. They take a little prep work- but the outcome is worth it. I made a double batch a few weeks ago and froze half of them :) love you!

      Delete
  2. I'm planning on making these today! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sedona Hiking

A couple of weeks ago we took a mini day trip to Sedona to hike Devil's Bridge. A natural bridge formed from the red rocks- these pictu...